Skip to main content

Week One in Lagos.

It has only been five days since I got Lagos, but my Snapchat friends will easily testify that they are barely swimming under the flood of posts from my Lagos living. Does anyone feel like attesting to this?

It’s so familiar yet unfamiliar. Everything is the same, except that it isn’t. I forgot for a moment (more like for half a decade) that I lived in one of the less-posh parts of Lagos (Ipaja) and that the “Instagram Lagos”, didn’t really extend to my side. Can you blame me? 


Let's talk about the flipping HORNS! My goodness! Have they always been so loud? For the first two days I jumped every time I heard one, because you really don’t use your horn in Canada except there is an emergency of sorts. Here, the horn seems to multitask as the signal (left/right signalling), as a means to call prospective passengers (a.k.a any pedestrian), to check your blind spot when changing lanes/ when entering or leaving a three-way street... basically anything. I'll have to get used to it.

In the meantime, you can follow my real time vlogs on Snapchat @fopsyyy. Maybe this will be the time to start a YouTube Chanel, I just worry about my consistency. I'm still too shy to whip out my camera in public. It's probably because I'm thinking what better way is there to stand out vividly in a place where I'm hoping to blend in?" If I overcome these fears, you'll get some HD pictures.  

Until then, enjoy the Snapchat screenshots.

Odabo ! (That's bye in Yoruba for "bye". Yoruba is one of the many Nigerian languages)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y