Skip to main content

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!  


For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch. 

Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggling skills and most importantly  removing as many traits of "I just got back" as we can. 

It’s going to be pretty hard to fully recreate the scene that played between us because we dialogued in Yoruba. But anyway, she came in search of a ruler. Being new in the house, I had no means of knowing where things were before I became an occupant of the room, but she seemed like she needed my help in the search for this ruler. It took me way too long to figure out why she needed my help! But when my brain was finally done booting, I realized that she knew what she needed was a ruler, but did not know what a ruler was! 

I tried not to let the deeper impact of this realization be reflected in my facial expression, because we’d already had a few embarrassing English- learning sessions earlier in the week. But in that moment, I became even more aware of how accustomed I had become to privilege. Yes, even knowing what a ruler is, is a privilege. 

I had a moment there, and just became more grateful for the things that I've been privileged to know, and also the things that thanks to privilege, I'll never know.




   As for my life in Lagos, I'm still liking being back home (well, on most days). The heat rashes are real, and so is the tan. My camera is still being underused because, what better way is there to announce that "I just got back" than to whip out a camera to snap regular people doing regular things? However, my phone and power bank have been serving me very well! And my Snapchat never sleeps... Feel free to hop over there  @fopsyyy. I want to go for this festival I read about on Facebook sometime next week, so expect a photo flood soon.


Until then, feel free to get back to whatever you were doing.

Fopsy!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Glory! In my head, I replied and even made a joke.. I want to to blame this on Naija internet, but I probably just forgot to hit send. So sorry for the uber-late response.

      Delete
  2. Fope's Life in Lagos👧🏾👧🏾

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fam, I'm following you on this trip so I'll have an idea of what it'll be like when i visit. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out my reply to you never got sent...x_x. I did keep posting, I hope you got a litle inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Lol. You said "half a decade". It sounds like such a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying in 2016 just feels plain old rude, but I don't know how my reply didn't get sent. Ma binu :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Go on, introduce yourself and say something; nothing is too random to say on here.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y