Skip to main content

Thoughts on Being Aliens on Earth and Entertainment-Related Filth

I now get why some Christians decide to do extreme things like refusing to own a T.V.
I'm watching this episode of Moments with Mo, and the topic is No Romance without Finance.
Urgh. So may things be hitting the wrong nerves.

I'm giving this thing a try where I completely substitute my music for Christian music. It's doable, I know. But I love Sunny Ade and a little Olamide here and there. I mean, I already know better than to accept the lyrics of the songs as the truth, but on some days I'm also embarrassed of what I'm listening to. I DJed for about15 minutes at a hangout  with my friends the other day, and when the pretty gross lyrics of Olamide and Phyno's "Ladi" came on, I was quite ashamed. The friends weren't even actively listening to the words of the song, but my own spirit condemned me.
Photo credit: DeveionPhotography via Foter.com / CC BY-ND
So what is it today that's got me ranting. So many things in the Youtube video would make sense if marriage were a worldly concept. But then, the presenters and guests go on to do weird things like quote the Bible saying, God designated man as the head of the family, but totally ignore the fact that this same God who speaks through His word also convicts us and leads us to sometimes do things that may make absolutely no sense to us.
If faith comes by hearing, it may follow that some things that quench your faith too, come by hearing. - Fopsy
If faith comes by hearing, it may follow that some things that quench your faith too, come by hearing. But I still love to be in the know about occurrences around me...therein lies the problem. Maybe I'll deliberately match / surpass time spent with stuff like this with things that are good for my spirit. Or maybe I'll grow to a stage where I'll trash non-edifying entertainment as a whole?   Well, I don't own a T.V, but cannot imagine scrapping all these my sources of entertainment just yet. I did delete Instagram off my phone for lack of space on my phone and to create a little space between myself and everyone's life highlights.
This is a rant, there's no moral for this story.
How do you feel about living in a world that you know you don't belong to? I was about to add, "that you also don't want to be awkward in" but I remember this sermon from John Piper where he pretty much said we are aliens here on earth and that's absolutely okay. I shall go talk to God about becoming more alien, but really, what are your thoughts?

Comments

  1. There are many things we don't feel awkward about for not being in the know (like geography, maths, sports), why can't certain entertainment streams be among the list? Also people are proud of who they are, what they love and believe in, inferiority (a.k.a. awkwardness) steps in when one is different but not proud of their differences. #Shoded #DareToBeDifferent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, I've got to agree! #AlienandProud #Shoded

      Delete
  2. So True what Shoded said. I do think its a process. The more you deliberately give more time to the Holy Spirit and listen to Him on "little" things about what not to wear and events to pass on, you become more sensitive. There comes a time when you could care less about what you are "missing out on", you don't even miss them and certainly don't care what people think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sister, I shall get some more practice with it :).

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Go on, introduce yourself and say something; nothing is too random to say on here.

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t