Skip to main content

Fully embracing my Oyinbo status

This week started out being uneventful. I slept way more than anyone should in one week. It was very called for. As for "how" or "why" it was called for, let's just say laziness called and I answered.  

On the days that I went out, I was reminded of the little things that can frustrate you about being in a developing country. How can one go to three major hotels (including Sheraton), and not be able to find a well functioning fax machine? I guess you could blame it on the transition from fax to email, but still it was annoying. Let me quickly add that I was impressed by the customer service at Lagos airport hotel. We Nigerians are generally well mannered people, but we tend to suck at customer service. Despite being the most scruffy of the three hotels I visited, the staff at Lagos airport hotel were very courteous and fun. So fun that they made our 50-minute long attempt at faxing my documents less-frustrating. Keyword: attempt.  Yes we ended up not being able to fax it after almost an hour. Their verdict was: "it must be a network problem". This place is good for building your patience and all the other fruits of the spirit. The HolySpirit must be proud of me.

As for adapting to life in Lagos, everyone now knows that I will snap everything and anything. So, I've fully embraced my "Oyinbo" status; there's no point trying so hard to fit in. Here are some of my random shots:


This is the process that puts the "party" in party Jollof rice! The firewood cooking process is kind of a must at large parties.
I even got to be the official photographer for one engagement (Yoruba traditional wedding), but I got shy and gave my camera to someone who was happy doing all the walking around. Most people have a hard time understanding how I can talk so much and still be shy. I don't know either. I like to think I'm an extroverted introvert...learn about us here.

Spot me looking out of place in my non aso-ebi outfit. Since I was a last minute addition to the crew, nobody thought to make me a matching family outfit. And I didn't bring any traditional clothes...because I'm hoping to make some while here.

Family members having differing reactions to 'our in-laws' being lax with their time keeping despite the rain that was threatening to fall. 

...and then came the rain. No, Nigerian rains bear no semblance to the cute Canadian drizzles.



Thankfully the rain came after the prostrating. This is my favourite part of Yoruba weddings. The groom and his friends and family coming to beg for the bride. So cool! It 's not like the family can say no at this point, since he already came to officially ask for her hand in marriage at the family introduction. But it's one cultural formality that I like. 



The bride immediately had my heart for just dancing away as if the rain wasn't a show spoiler! I was so impressed!
Come rain, come shine, we will spray the Naira.
Wife in hand, sealed with a ring, we packed our bags and headed for the nasty Lagos traffic...in rush hour...on a Friday. Sigh


We've burned through our  Wi-Fi at home, so I'm dependent on my 2GB phone data. It's supposed to last for one month, but I'm on my third purchase in three weeks. Judge me if you will, but you only live once. So I say: use the data, stream the movie, stalk the person, plan the imaginary weddings, do whatever else you do with your data. Yes, I've been taking my own advice... Maybe a little too much.

I'll be back soon  with more Naija Living rants.

Bye for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y