Skip to main content

Shey you Understand?

I had a pretty eventful week! I've been in three states, I've commuted back and forth Ibadan and Modakeke for three days, and now I'm back in Lagos. It was fun and not really tiring, except the bumpy rides that I ranted about here. As for a fun discovery this week, let's just say I burn through data real real quick! It's probably because I live on my phone. For me, everything goes on Snapchat and I always have something to Google. I'm beginning to think of solutions to my surging phone bills. Maybe it's time to go sugar-daddy hunting, after all I'm in my sugar-baby prime and in the sugar daddy headquarters!
Absolutely loving Lagos weather! Even the rain knows to fall at night! How cool is that?
Potential Sugar daddies apply within...Ok, I'm just kidding.

Today, I had the strong urge to laugh in the middle of a serious conversation. I asked a simple question that I had anticipated would take less than  5minutes to answer. But thirty minutes in, the man was going on and on about his job position and his credentials not withholding the details of where he got the degrees too! It was a funny something o!

Every six words or so, he'd check that I was still listening by saying, "Shey you understand?", which is the Nigerian equivalent of the Canadian "You know, eh?" He did this so religiously that,  I started listening just for this phrase and boy was it amusing! I really wanted to laugh. But I remembered that right before this trip, one of my aunties told me to consider watering down my reactions to things, or at least change the timing of the reactions. Normally, I suck at hiding my true feelings. The way I'm set up, if my mouth behaves itself, best believe my face won't. But aunty's wise words helped me stifle my laughter today.

Honestly, if there's anywhere in the world where you don't want to offend people without reason, it's Nigeria. Our juju game is strong... very strong. Not that Jesus isn't stronger or anything, but I'd just rather not piss the wrong person off. 

That's where this is ending today.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Go on, introduce yourself and say something; nothing is too random to say on here.

Popular posts from this blog

I promise, I promise..

Picture perfect. Those were the words most of my guests had described my wedding day as. I might as well have been dipped in diamonds. I glowed from head to toe. Vera Wang had custom made my wedding dress to perfection. So much that Louis (my ever broke friend who had turned gay because he just couldn't deal with girlfriends and their extravagantness) became a believer in my one occasion dress that was worth a lifetime of savings for many. My amazing aunt had provided Dink and I with Audi's latest model as a "small" wedding present. Dink had just gotten promoted and was now fourth in command of my father's multi-million dollar company. Yes, we were more than able to afford the mansion we called home in Banana Island. I broke my hymen in grand style in Burj Al Arab, Dubai. My cheeks now burn as I remember how hard it was to convince Dink that my "cookie" wouldn't decay from being in the jar for so long! Ha those days were...hmm, words just w...

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli...

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t...