Skip to main content

It's my Blogiversary!

It's 5days late...but whatever!

Yeah, my blog turned 3...five days ago! Every year, on the Blogiversary, I go back to read my very first post. There are some typos there and some messed up formatting, but I'm leaving those there so that every year when I look back, I can actually see how far I've come. The bulk of this year was spent trying to find my blog's niche, but now that I've gone back to read that first post, I have no idea why I stressed about the whole niche thing. I made it pretty clear at the beginning that I would be "writing whatever I please on here".

Maybe it's the broadness of that statement or maybe it's my preoccupation with the potential of monetizing my blog that drove me to look at other bloggers to see how things were being done. Or it could have just been me trying to grow. It most likely was a mix of all of that.

I'm big on mentoring; whether it's active mentoring or just close observation of an object of interest, I think there's wisdom in learning from those who have gone before us. With regard to my blog, I figured I'd learn from my e-big sisters. But in reality, I ended up comparing my level 3 with other people's level 100, and my jollof rice with their kale chips, a.k.a recipe for feeling inadequate. And inadequate indeed I began to feel.  It turned out my style of living and writing don't match up with the ideas in my head of 'a successful blog". Still, my comparison and observation from afar were productive. I found a whole circle of people (who I like to call my tribe), and it turns out we have a name! We're called personal bloggers! We exist! Haha! I'm not just this solo over-sharing kid on the Internet. 

I found this on Instagram a while back and I think it's gold!

Which brings me to the topic of naming. What's the big deal about it? For the story you just read, it's the feeling of belonging to something. So it's not really about the name, but about the community (I think). Okay so never mind then.This post was meant to review my year in blogging, which I think it successfully has. Overall, I'd say it's been awesome. 

Also,  “hellloooo from the con-sis-tency siiiiiiide!” (*insert Adele’s voice*). Aren't you proud of how often I’ve posted this year? Oh you didn't notice? Go archive digging and notice! This month, life got pretty busy and I've not really posted all that I planned to. But I'm going to spend my waiting time (at the airport going back to Canada) to backlog on all my blogposts. So stay tuned!

Oh and thank you!  Thank you for being here, for reading and browsing and commenting. I can't really figure out why it matters atm, but it does. And I want to thank you for being here! THANK YOU! 


Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Go on, introduce yourself and say something; nothing is too random to say on here.

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli...

I promise, I promise..

Picture perfect. Those were the words most of my guests had described my wedding day as. I might as well have been dipped in diamonds. I glowed from head to toe. Vera Wang had custom made my wedding dress to perfection. So much that Louis (my ever broke friend who had turned gay because he just couldn't deal with girlfriends and their extravagantness) became a believer in my one occasion dress that was worth a lifetime of savings for many. My amazing aunt had provided Dink and I with Audi's latest model as a "small" wedding present. Dink had just gotten promoted and was now fourth in command of my father's multi-million dollar company. Yes, we were more than able to afford the mansion we called home in Banana Island. I broke my hymen in grand style in Burj Al Arab, Dubai. My cheeks now burn as I remember how hard it was to convince Dink that my "cookie" wouldn't decay from being in the jar for so long! Ha those days were...hmm, words just w...

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t...