Skip to main content

Burn the Highlight Reel

Sometime in the middle of this year, I caught up with an acquaintance that I hadn't seen in a long time. Being at similar life stages (with school coming to an end for both of us), talking came really easily. As we talked, we were amazed at how many squeals of "me too!" escaped our mouths.
I remember her saying, “But Fope, you look like you have things figured out on Instagram". And I looked at her with one raised eyebrow thinking, "How did you come up with that? It's not like any of my captions do more than explain the picture."
In retrospect, I should have understood what she meant.
As someone who has gone days without speaking to any human, not by deliberate choice but by happenstance, and one who also has had to consciously close Instagram because her thumb hurt from scrolling too much, I should have gotten it. I should have understood that she managed to make up a whole picture of my life from my posts.
Deep down, I'm sure we know that social media is not the full picture. But many times we forget. Many times, I still forget and I compare my lows with everyone else’s high.
The thing is, highlights are fun. They make for short and sweet captions. They are easily explained in emojis. Sometimes, the pictures of red-bottoms and ourselves in graduation gowns can even get by without captions and still rake in the likes and fancy comments. But in the interest of balance let's burn some of that.

This isn't really a call to humans to post more of regular life on Instagram... I think that's what Snapchat was invented for. But highlighting regular moments too would be one way create some balance. But, I want to say
  • This is a call to us to appreciate more of the little bits of regular life. It's our preoccupation with the exceptional moments that cause us to only highlight those. So we don’t see just having breakfast as a thing, except it’s at Cora’s or somewhere fancy.
  • It’s also a call to resurrect real talk. Call and text someone just because. There's a reason we weren't made to do life solo.  It's not like you're calling to have a pity party or anything, but talking is therapeutic. You'll share some of your highs, some of your lows. You’ll get fresh views on each other’s issues, and your burden will just feel lighter. Friendships are awesome, enjoy them.
  • I think ultimately, it’s a call to a little vulnerability and transparency. A little vulnerability not just on social media, but in our interactions with each other. Someone asks how your day is going and you're thinking of responding with: "Not too great actually. 2015 is ending and I've still not seized the bae." Go for it! You don't have to say "fine". 
Going into the #goals thing would be another topic. But seriously let's burn that too. 
I challenge you to find an opportunity to savour a regular moment this weekend and maybe even share under the hashtag #BurnTheHighlightReel.

Shout out to Heather Lindsey for inspiring this post via her Instagram posts under #BurnTheHighlightReel.


Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t