Skip to main content

Day 3- Introduce Yourself with Your writing bio

Yesterday, I promised to finish the story from Day 2, so I did that first. So here it is:
_______________________________________________________________________

Today wasn't any different from all other Saturdays. My son and I were going grocery shopping and he wanted to sit on my shoulders. I thought more of it as weighted cardio than risky behaviour since it was something we'd done before. Plus we lived on the third floor; it wasn't supposed to be a long trip down. Somewhere between focusing on keeping him balanced on my shoulders and teaching him to say "ma-ma", I missed the snow puddle on the step and slipped.

We slipped. Both of us had this fall. I didn't just throw him down the stairs. Why would anyone even think that?

I think I should have said "we slipped" right from the first time I told the story rather than I slipped. But the social worker assigned to me didn't believe it. Neither did Mark-  my best friend turned sperm donor-who was then trying to get custody of a son he had grudgingly agreed to father.
To everyone, I was just the psycho trying to get rid of my extremely light skinned son. Yes, I'd initially whined a lot about how recessive my genes seemed to be in my son's physical appearance.

 I was a single mum by choice, but every time my baby and I went out, I'd get asked about his father. How fair skinned he must be, how jealous I must be that he took his father's looks, and either how happy I must be that he wasn't "so dark" or how I must be praying that the "next one" looked like me. No I wasn't happy or sad that he wasn't as dark-skinned as I am. I was aware of this possibility when I asked Mark (a quarter cast) to be my sperm donor.  I'm as dark as a black person can possibly be- like the kind where with the lights off, only my teeth and eyeballs glow- but comfortably so.  I had indeed thought my baby would be some shade between his biological father's and mine, but when he turned out looking more Mark, I let it be.

Why the heck would that be a thing to be happy or sad about? I thought it absurd that anyone would expect me to think of him differently or assume that I'd be less content with a son that looked just like me: "You must be happy that he isn't so dark". I know of the "team light skin" trend on Instagram and Twitter - a form of segregation of shades of blackness- lighter skin being the preference. Yeah, just when one thought the bleaching cream era was over. But as an ex-model who was constantly sought when sets lacked "enough diversity", I never hopped on that skin hate boat. My mistake was that I shared these rants with Mark and some other friends during a mutual friend's engagement party. I was a little tipsy, and my voice rose as I explained the different scenarios in which strangers had made annoying comments. But all my anger and irritation was towards the commenters and obviously not hatred for my son.

You'd think this would be obvious to these people who were as close as family. But here they all were to testify against me. Mark was using every thing I'd said to him that weren't praises for my son against me. His step-sister too was here to testify of my child-care incompetence. One day last summer as I babysat her kids, one of her terribly behaved triplets had sat himself in their deep freezer to "cool down" while I reprimanded the other two for seeing who would fall first if they kept throwing rocks at each other. If she hadn't been such an idiot wasting money on designers, changing her Brazilian hair weave every other second, and chasing after boys that could easily be her children, perhaps she would have been able to afford air conditioning and her son could have stayed out of the freezer. Like they didn't do worse things when she was there.  My mother too who has refused psychiatric treatment for years, was here to testify that I must have donated my son for myself and my witch-mates to eat. 

Would someone really believe that I threw my son down the stairs in an attempt to get rid of him?
________________________________________________________________________________
Ok that's all I've got. Hope you liked it?


When I initially thought of introducing myself with my writing bio, I thought I'd put up all my writing related  "about you" sections, and then explain each. But then I wrote the concluding part of yesterday's story and I thought of how much a person's work can say about him/ her.  So if you've followed me for a while, you already have a profile in your head of me, but for now here's what I consider to be my writing bio:

Bio 1: My name is Mofopefoluwa. It's quite a mouthful, so everyone calls me some abbreviated version of it. I'm a student who loves writing (mostly musing) and I do this via blogging. 

Basically, I think about way too many random things, and some of them I find interesting. So I decided to start sharing these thoughts. Blogging was free and easy! So here I am.
I wish I could blog more, but I've got school hanging over my head most of the time.  I'm also still learning how to comprehensibly organize and express my thoughts.
I think most of my readers know me personally, I can't wait till this is no longer true. But if you'd like to know more,  please feel free to ask. I'd be happy say as much as I can!

Enjoy your last hours of 2013 (depending on where you are) !




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t