Skip to main content

Adulting

Photo by Steve Johnson from Pexels
This evening, my sister called me. She'd just come out of her school's prize-giving day and she was mad she didn't get any awards. Honestly, she had reason to be mad. This year, she worked super duper hard, and got grades to show for it, pretty much 100% on every test, or 97% on the 'bad' days. So, she figured at least one of those perfect grades had to count for something. But they didn't.
"Not even an acknowledgement of my hard work. I really really tried this year", she said.  
The thing is, this was a rant and we both knew it. Despite her hardwork, we both knew that her not getting the award meant it went to someone even more deserving. Still, it sucked. And that's how adulting feels.

There are days I feel like I've worked so soo hard and something slips right out of my grasp, and I have no one to blame. Sometimes I try to blame myself, but I soon realize there's no point crying over spilled milk. Other days I want to yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I'm right here! Notice me!"

And it's not necessarily attention that I'm seeking on those days. It could be as basic as running my heart out for the bus and getting there just in time to see the bus driver drive away. Or it could be the guy with whom you'd built castles in your mind.  A guy who you had reason to think was helping you furnish this castles even, yeah the same guy suddenly...legit suddenly... has a fiancee. "Fiaan- what?!" you think to yourself.
Or is it the job interviews that you invested hundreds of dollars in inter-city traveliing for, got to the third phase of, only for them so darn impersonally send you the generic canned e-mail to let you know you rocked, but not enough.
I could go on about all these near misses, but let's park that.

So things start to stabilize, you have a house, a car, and some assurance that you won't eat dinner alone for the rest of your life. It still doesn't end there, because if it did, life would be hella bland. There are always the bends along the way; like the possibility of having your contract renewed being hinged on this new Politician's 'mood'. There are still all these twists and turns along the way that make life contingent on trusting God. It's hard to even type trusting God. Trusting God with all the many uncertainties that life throws, making wise decisions to the best of my ability, being accountable for my decisions and their consequences, and still somehow savouring life's joys while at it.

To bring this full circle, adulting would look like sending my sister a plaque to celebrate all the academic, social, spiritual and mental battles I saw her fight and push through this year.  I'm incredibly proud of her and I know life is too short not leave wins uncelebrated.

For me it would mean, getting up earlier so I don't have to chase the bus. It would also mean being intentional about avoiding situationships with guys and insisting on clearly defining my realtionships to avoid future surprises. It would also look like thanking God that the job situation did work out for my good afterall. And argh, it would certainly mean learning to let go and trust God.
Yes,  it would certainly mean learning to let go and trust a known God with an unknown future.

Comments

  1. I would read such a piece everyday if it was handed to me fresh and new every day...nicely written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Obi! Who knows, I just might do a daily newsletter at some point.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Go on, introduce yourself and say something; nothing is too random to say on here.

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y