Skip to main content

Paper Flower


Source: http://blue-ink-pearls.tumblr.com/

I stood at your grave today and watched all these people decorate it with most sensational of flowers.
Yours was easily the prettiest spot in the whole yard...not that that was a price anyone would crave.
Someone must have heard you talk about daffodils at the hospital because the entire hospital crew brought those.
Even now, I can hear you joking about the lucky hell-bound fellow who got to sell all of it.

When six months became a year, two, and then four, we figured you'd beat the big C.
You made it your thing to remind us that science and yourself, the only big C, were the ones involved in your miraculous survival.
I still feel the same way about life and time as I did when you were here Cariole.
And I know you would have asked why my all-powerful C had His hands folded while your routine check-up became a "cancer come back".
I still don't have all the answers. For your sake, I really wish I did.
But I'm still sure and want to tell you that God is good and is full of love and that life is worthless if eternity is not guaranteed.

I wish for your sake that hell were not real. Because, according to your verdict, it would not only mean that we never get to meet again, but also you would be sharing a cell with florists!
I can almost feel your corpse shuddering at the mere thought of that.

I stood for six hours at your grave today.
I wondered what you'd have done with all the flowers.
There was a trashcan nearby that would have gladly housed the little garden your grave top had become. But the rain came, drenched me, and also messed up the flowers arrangements. So that's taken care of, almost like nature's tribute to you.


For now, I'll hold as gold this last thing from you.
In hopes, that time will not wring me of its worth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli...

I promise, I promise..

Picture perfect. Those were the words most of my guests had described my wedding day as. I might as well have been dipped in diamonds. I glowed from head to toe. Vera Wang had custom made my wedding dress to perfection. So much that Louis (my ever broke friend who had turned gay because he just couldn't deal with girlfriends and their extravagantness) became a believer in my one occasion dress that was worth a lifetime of savings for many. My amazing aunt had provided Dink and I with Audi's latest model as a "small" wedding present. Dink had just gotten promoted and was now fourth in command of my father's multi-million dollar company. Yes, we were more than able to afford the mansion we called home in Banana Island. I broke my hymen in grand style in Burj Al Arab, Dubai. My cheeks now burn as I remember how hard it was to convince Dink that my "cookie" wouldn't decay from being in the jar for so long! Ha those days were...hmm, words just w...

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t...