Skip to main content

Audience of One

I wrote this piece on last year's "Live it loud" experience, and all I could say was that it was an amazing experience! I couldn't exactly express how I felt about it, but I knew it was great. I've had a year to think about why that was, and here's what I've come up with:
  1.   It had been so long since I had heard doctrine that sound and for that amount of time (almost 4 days of non-stop goodness!) oh my goodness!
  2.  I like to think of myself as a turn down kind of person, but it turned out that all I needed was my kind of turn up; live it loud provided that and more.
  3.  It was a road trip and mini vacation in one! Those are two of my favorite things.
  4.  I think amidst all that excitement, I ate the word but somehow didn't digest it. So I tasted it, knew that it was great, but it didn't do much to my body. So it ended there and I couldn't even point to what I remembered from the whole conference. 
This is so easy to do you know? In the excitement of hearing the word go down and realizing how deep it is and enjoying it, it can be easy to forget to let it sink. Thankfully, there were videos and I was able to re-watch them.

This year, I had less distractions. It was such an expensive trip that I had been preparing both physically and spiritually long before the program. I went with an expectation to somehow deepen my walk with God after this conference. There's been a hole of some sort in me that just wasn't getting filled by anything I did. I'd forget about it when I did adrenaline-filled activities, like planning for a trip, dancing to Spanish music and going on road trips, but it was still there. At some point I said I'd get married (lol) and that companionship would fill it. But as I sought to figure out things to do with my time to create less down time and possibly fill the void, I found like minded people and mentors. Anyway, things got better as I decided to step things up a notch with God instead of complaining about feeling like not much had changed since becoming a Christian. If it were easy I guess you wouldn't need the Holy Spirit.


During this year's "Live it Loud" conference, I let the things that needed to die die, buried them somewhere between Ottawa and Vancouver, and I'm gradually resurrecting.  I've decided to just seek God and remember that all other things shall be added on to me. As He pleases of course, which kind of includes His timing. Sigh. So now it's one day at a time, one more minute spent with God, one more decision made with God's interest at heart, one more ungodly habit dropped and just one opinion that'll count.

I hope this encourages someone to re-focus his or her attention on God. Just God and nothing else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y