Skip to main content

You could think stuff up for a living!

Hey guys!

I know I'm in the middle of my story telling, but I really felt like ranting.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but Shonda Rhimes' twitter bio was the final push that got me to start this blog. I think then, it was "I make up stuff for a living." She recently added some extra words to ward off crazy fans who took the"made-up stuff" too far. Not that I blame them though; it was kind of hard not to shed some tears when McSteamy died in Grey's Anatomy :'(.  I liked his sly ways and fine face; it wouldn't have hurt to keep him alive.

Anyway, really think about it. Shonda literally just sits there or stands or I dunno, squats there (whatever rocks her writing man's boat) and thinks up amazing stuff. And she gets paid for it. I know it's more than that, she probably has to deal with editors,  film makers and whoever else is involved in bringing the "cool thoughts" to life. But the point is, she really does think stuff up for a living!

The other day, Oprah came to my city. It made the headlines of our local paper. I'm not really a fan, so I didn't bother reading the story. But knowing she's worth about three billion bucks, in my head I was like "Oh hey Oprah, fancy leaving your wallet at my house while you cruise around town?" Not that she'd even notice it was gone anyway.  That was weeks ago and I had all but forgotten about her visit. But today in church, my pastor's wife was like "did you know people went to watch Oprah talk for $700?" That. Just. Made. Me. Sit up. Mouth ajar!

She literally just opened her mouth and spoke and people spent a month's rent plus hydro and internet bill to go listen! But then I thought again, hey Fopsy, you're not too far yourself. People spend a few minutes reading your rants too, cuz you're amaziiing just the way you are!  Thanks for sticking with me guys. You're awesome!

But yeah, moral of the story is, tick-tock, you'll be dead and gone soon.  Do something worthwhile while you have the time. Lots of emphasis on the "worthwhile" part.

I don't know how to say this part without famzing.  But yeah, my not-so-friend / second friendly face I met in my Canadian high school has this fashion design thing going on. I think she first started with sketches and drawings and a blog of those before she went all out. And she's doing so well now (at least I think so). See for yourself http://www.andreaiyamah.com/. There are others who are trying to rap too..LOL. But who knows, maybe Lecrae started that way too.

Not everyone is going to use that Engineering or Medicine degree. If you really don't want to be a doctor and you don't have the sky high grades for it, it's not too late to save your parents the Lamborghini Aventador's worth of money that they'll blow on international school fees. If there's something else you truly find interesting and you have some talent to back it up, think about it and go for it! Switch majors, add that second major or minor and be a pro at it.

If you're too scared to "come out" to your parents/sponsors,  think of the thousands of people who have a genuine passion for that degree someone chose for you. Those guys will probably be better at thrilling employers with their enthusiasm and passion for the job.
And then think of me . When I initially said I wanted to study Psych, my folks were like "se o fe maa mu garri lojojumo ni?"  Except for those who can back garri up with nicely smoked chicken/fish and groundnut, garri (cassava flakes) isn't a king's meal.  They were essentially asking me if I wanted to reel in poverty for the rest of my life, because Psychology isn't really big in Nigeria. But that was 3 years ago.  Now they've come around and are super supportive.

I know not everyone gets this lucky, but you could always try, ask God to help you convince them if it's His will. If it fails, try again!

 4pcee


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t