Skip to main content

Checking in with 2016

You know, just a Friday night Netflix and chilling, and thinking of launching a YouTube career. But boy, that thing is more work than it appears to be. 

Isn't this picture just stunning? It's from here

I have a pretty nice camera, I know lighting is your best friend, I also know video editing is to awesome videos as packaging is to any product. But what is knowledge if you're not going to act on it? Well, I actually did act on it; I shot my first video. It was a nice ramble and I guess you could say it had some potential. However, as I re-watched it six hours later, I realized that I roll my eyes upward when I'm talking and thinking at the same time. So in the video,  I look slightly lost and unsure of myself. But hey, Rome wasn't built in one day, so maybe there'll be a second shot and third, or however many it takes to nail this thing. Or maybe I'll just add a tab on here and do with my blog, what I had hoped to do with YouTube: encourage and entertain. 
In the meantime, I really want to do more with my blog. I want to get used to sharing things that matter to me and doing so with a decent amount of clarity. This is practice for that. 
I'll leave you with something that has helped shape my first two weeks of 2016. It's a blog post by titled "Year Long Resolutions". This is how I used it: I read each point and wrote down practical steps to achieving each. So far, I think I'm doing okay.

How's 2016 going for you? What's going as planned and what's not? It's just day 15, so I guess you might not yet have an answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli...

I promise, I promise..

Picture perfect. Those were the words most of my guests had described my wedding day as. I might as well have been dipped in diamonds. I glowed from head to toe. Vera Wang had custom made my wedding dress to perfection. So much that Louis (my ever broke friend who had turned gay because he just couldn't deal with girlfriends and their extravagantness) became a believer in my one occasion dress that was worth a lifetime of savings for many. My amazing aunt had provided Dink and I with Audi's latest model as a "small" wedding present. Dink had just gotten promoted and was now fourth in command of my father's multi-million dollar company. Yes, we were more than able to afford the mansion we called home in Banana Island. I broke my hymen in grand style in Burj Al Arab, Dubai. My cheeks now burn as I remember how hard it was to convince Dink that my "cookie" wouldn't decay from being in the jar for so long! Ha those days were...hmm, words just w...

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t...