Skip to main content

Googling God

I saw this article on going to God via Google and normally it would have sounded like a bad Sunday joke aimed at engaging the younger church crowd, but today it sort of hit home...hard. http://www.todayschristianwoman.com/articles/2014/november-week-3/seeking-and-googling.html

The part where it asks whether or not we actually believe in an omniscient (and I’ll add omnipotent) God or whether we just profess it. It’s almost sounds like a rhetorical question when you’ve grown up or gotten so used to hearing Him being called these names. 

But final year is hard. It's hard because professors are becoming increasingly difficult to please, as though G.P.As were no longer important. They come to class and say, “oh the class average is pretty high, it's about 71%, it's about 76%” as though that's what we cared about. In reality, the whole class is bunched up in the 70s and what good is that to anyone. So with school choosing her own path, and the future looking just as crooked; I've done some really strange things. I've gone on to Google to ask her what to do with my life. And of course when you Google things of this nature, you get answers from Yahoo answers and from Wiki answers and from all these things that are great when you're stuck on a homework question, but good for nothing else. 

So I learnt, I learnt to stop Googling those exact words. I modified my search to something like "what to do if you want a fun job", which is not a bad thing to do if fun is your purpose in life. Then after a few too many failed attempts at Googling my future, I figured I'd browse through LinkedIn and see what all the fancy people I encountered were doing with their lives or had done with their lives. And then I finally stopped.

I think where I'm headed is, it's so easy to want to be in control of everything, and when the future seems so hazy, it poses a real threat to this control. But if I knew exactly how God was going to set up my life, where would trust come and where would faith go?

So I guess trusting God is a process and it's taking much longer than I thought it would. But I trust God and his ability to do all things in his time. I’ll keep praying, working and being more sensitive to His leading. Hey Google, you were made by man who was made by God, so I'm going right back to the source. I trust you, God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledging Privilege

You know one thing that comes with looking at old things with new eyes? Interesting discoveries!   For those of you who do not know, I have been in Nigeria for thirteen days and I will be here till the end of the year. So, I’m writing about what it feels like to go back home after half a decade. I already said in my last post that everything seems familiar except that it isn’t. And by that I meant that I’m now noticing things that have probably always been there, but had managed to go unnoticed. Every time I notice something, I wonder if I'm thinking and acting like a foreigner in my own motherland. It's a weird feeling. But it is what it is; I've been out of touch.  Let's move to today's story. One night last week, Oye knocked on my door because she had been sent to get something called a “ruler”.  Oye is the amazing maid, who really has been my right hand person. She's been helping me relearn the art of crossing Lagos streets, perfecting my haggli

The Ontario Christian and 2015 sex-ed changes

I don’t know if it’s too many classes in sociology of religion, human sexuality, and the likes of these that have made my opinions significantly different from friends with whom I share other opinions. But since I am yet to find a ground comfortable enough for my Jesus loving self and freedom of expression celebrating side to stand, I write. One of our pastors was /is pretty furious at the recent changes to Ontario’s sex education laws. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s take a moment to update you . When it finally loads, please scroll down to view the juice of it. Now that you get the idea, my question to my friends has been what makes this wrong from a non-Christian POV? Given that the entire population is not Christian, why would you expect the laws not to favor the non-Christians as well? If you absolutely detest homosexuality as a religious command and have a religious responsibility to train up your child in the way of God, I expect that you would teach y

Hey Lil Troublemaker.

Photo credit:  looseends  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-SA Freezing as usual. I've gone through today's edition of "school sucks, especially in the Winter". I have a midterm anyway, so there's no way around school today. No point whining. There's a 3-minute bus for the 7minute walk I have to make to my next class.  When the roads are icy and slippery (like today) and man's greatest fear is becoming 'Humpty-Dumty the second', that walk becomes more10-ish minutes. So, of course I'll take the bus! *Whew!*. I made the bus.  To calm my raging nerves - because I'm pretty tensed about my Stats midterm - I read the cover page of Metro newspaper. The story I first see is something about wheelchairs not getting priority over strollers. Lol? Who wouldn't know that? On second thought, it wouldn't be on the front page of the paper if something hadn't happened. Apparently, some bus driver had told someone with a toddler to get off t